Monday, April 08, 2013

Community Garden


We decided to join our local community garden. This is the first year it has been open, and it's conveniently located right across the street from the girls' school. But I know nothing about gardening. In fact, every time I've ever tried to grow anything, whether it was a single tomato plant in a pot on the porch or a few annuals, the plants never do very well. It's something I've been wanting to try for awhile, but something I've been kind of reluctant to jump into because of my past failures. 

But we decided it would be another good way to embed ourselves in this community of Edgewater, so the garden is our family project for this summer. My friend Jenn came over this weekend and shared with me some of her seeds and gardening expertise. Then Sunday afternoon we went out to till the soil and plant some seeds. 
We have a huge plot, but decided to start small with our cool weather crops: sugar snap peas and two kinds of lettuce. Anna apparently loves sugar snap peas, so she has claimed them as her plants. The girls helped haul bricks to make a border around our plot and they also planted the seeds. 


We'll see what happens! We're supposed to see some sprouts in 5-10 days. 

No comments: