For our family Advent activity this year, Joel and I chose to use an e-book called Truth in the Tinsel. It has been so much fun! There is a clue word for each day that we printed off and put in the pockets of our advent calendar. Then at some point during the day, usually after dinner, we read a scripture and make an ornament based on that clue word from the Christmas story.
I wouldn't consider myself a crafty person, but I knew the girls would love making a craft each day. And the nice thing about it is that they are very simple and you can use stuff you already have on hand. I did make one trip to Hobby Lobby to get a few things, but for the most part I used what I already had.
We were about halfway through the 24 days, and I decided to take the ornaments we had made and review what we had learned. I was amazed at what the girls remembered. Some of the ornaments we made in the beginning were about the birth of John the Baptist, which is part of the story they were not familiar with. But they remembered all of it.
Here are some pictures of the girls holding their favorite ornaments so far. Anna is holding a CD to represent Mary's song, Joseph, and Bethlehem houses.
Norah is holding a candle to represent the prophecy from Isaiah about the Messiah being a light to the nations, and a crown for the Prince of Peace.
I would highly recommend this book. There is even a section of adapted plans in the back if you don't think you can do something every day. I was tempted to do that, but I am so glad we decided to dive in and do the whole thing. Our tree is packed full of lovely creations made by our girls, but more importantly the story is sinking deeper into their hearts in a new way.


1 comment:
awesome! I'll have to try that next year!
Post a Comment