Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Things that are scary: 4 wheelers!

My family really likes to play games together. This year, instead of exchanging gifts, each couple brought a different game to play during the week and then at the end we all decided which one we wanted to bring home. One of my favorites was The Game of Things, in which you are given a category, like "Things that stink." Each person has to write their answer, all the answers and read, and then each person has to guess who wrote which answer. So it's kind of a test of how well you know each other and it ends up being really funny. If I ever play Things with any of you and we get a category like "Things that are scary," or "Things that I hate," you'll know which answer is mine...

4 wheelers!

Someone suggested that we go ride 4 wheelers, that all the couples should go, that it would be so fun. I did NOT want to go, but Joel was really excited about it and I wanted to at least watch everyone else. And I didn't want to be a party pooper. So I went. I told Joel I wasn't very stoked about it and he assured me that he had lots of experience driving things like this (apparently they had a dirt bike when he was a kid), and that he would go slow and take it easy. I decided to loosen up and take a step out of my comfort zone and I agreed to ride with him. Here's a picture of us before the ride.
Here's us pretending Joel is a crazy driver and that I am falling off the back. You can see where this is going. Becky was taking the photo and thought it would make a funny picture.
Here's us starting up the first hill. Notice Joel's facial expression. He's on a mission. And I am on the back holding on for dear life. Don't I look thrilled?
And here's us returning to the starting point with me walking alongside the 4 wheeler. Can you guess what happened? Near death experience! Ok, that's a slight exaggeration, but for someone who does not like going fast or being out of control, riding a 4 wheeler is a recipe for disaster. Joel was driving just fine, but then we can to a place on the trail that had a huge gully in the middle, so he went a little far to the side and it started to tip, so I jumped off. And refused to get back on. The reality is that he was probably going too slow since I was too afraid to go fast and that is the reason we couldn't quite make it over the bump.
I spent the rest of the outing sitting on the back of the truck watching everyone else enjoy their rides. And that was just fine with me. Joel had a blast driving as fast as he wanted to, and I don't think anyone was surprised I didn't last very long. And I was proud of myself for trying.

Here's another category for the game: "Things I will never do again." You'll know what my answer will be, right?

1 comment:

Bekah said...

Oh my this is hilarious!!!