Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Our first week in Champaign

Well, we made it. After a 1000 mile road trip through four states, we have arrived at our new home in Champaign, IL. Here is a picture of us in front of our house in Littleton before we left.
And here's the new house when we arrived!
We're pretty much unpacked. Mostly now I'm trying to get organized and find places for everything. We were welcomed by some of Joel's co-workers from church with a sign and a basket of lots of useful things that have really come in handy. And a hot meal for the first night. We're met a few neighbors and the ones across the street are a family with four kids that have already invited the girls over to play. We were hoping for kids in the neighborhood, and apparently there are several houses right around us with kids.

Joel had his first day in the office yesterday and VBS in the evenings this week. The girls and I have been participating in VBS too. Last night Anna told me "I kept seeing Daddy everywhere at VBS. I think he was following me!" I don't think she quite understands yet that it's Daddy's job to oversee all the kids stuff that goes on at church!

The girls have been experiencing lots of new things here in the Midwest. They don't seem to notice the humidity much, but we're having to use coasters on our tables now and we've never done that before. They got to hold a toad at our neighbor's house one day, and they found a snail on our front porch. I think the biggest thing we have all noticed is the BUGS! They are everywhere. Thankfully we haven't really gotten attacked by mosquitos, but the girls are very quick to point out any bug they happen to see, indoors or out. And we've had several really big thunderstorms in the middle of the night. We had storms in Denver too, but these seem to be a little more intense and they last longer.

We're trying to get out and explore our new city too. Tomorrow we're planning a trip to the library, which is brand new and looks like a great facility. The girls and I made a trip to University of Illinois Campus town yesterday to pick up our computer that was being repaired. We visited the farmer's market on Saturday and the neighborhood ice cream place on Sunday. Lots of fun stuff. Lots of new people. It's nice to finally be here after months of planning.

Here's some pictures of the girls eating popsicles on the porch yesterday. I hope you enjoy them. Thank you so much for thinking of us and praying for us during this time of transition!




We're hoping to give you a virtual tour of our new home soon. Maybe this weekend. So be on the lookout!

4 comments:

Nathan and Nicole said...

Congrats on the move, guys! I can't wait to be where you are (metaphorically) in a few months. I'm just stressed to the max now! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures and comments Hill. It made me laugh out loud at times. Thanks for putting it all together. The girls look like they are having a great time. Tell them we say hi! mum

Bekah said...

Yay! Thanks for the update. It sounds like you are doing great and we'll continue to pray for your transition.

Just Us - The Carlsons said...

Hillary it sounds like you settled right in! How loving to receive a welcome basket. So happy for your first week. Blessings to the full.

Heidi