Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Another Book Review

This is the second book I'm reviewing for the MOPS book blog tour. It's called Intimate Conversations: Devotions to Nurture a Woman's Soul by Alicia Britt Chole. I've seen this book advertised in several MOPS related things lately, so I was curious about it. It's a devotional book, so it's a bunch of short (2 page) readings with a passage of scripture and questions for reflection after each one. Each devotion is a quick read, which I liked, and the questions were very appropriate and allowed me to explore the topic further if it was something I could relate to and wanted to think about more deeply. Topics include prioritization, dealing with worry, feeling unproductive, and disappointments in life. The author was very real and honest, telling stories from her own experiences as a wife, mother, and a woman who simply wants to know God on a deeper, more intimate level.

One devotion in particular really stuck with me. It was about feeling unproductive, especially those of us who have left a career to focus on raising our children. Productivity looks different in different seasons of life, and in some seasons it is less visible. But God is developing character in us. I just happened to read this section the day after I was up all night with my puking four year old daughter and spending the entire next day caring for her and cleaning up messes. Five years ago, I would never have done that. But God has used love for my daughter and my experiences as a mom to develop character in me, and it showed me that I really can be unselfish. There's lots of practical truths like that in this book.




No comments: